About Portland Open Studios
Capricorn by Samyak Yamauchi [detail]
To build community between artists and the public through educational interaction.
- Local & Diverse Community
- Quality Artists
- Educating the Public
To become an essential component in the Portland art community by bringing artist and patron together in an atmosphere of learning about the artistic process, enabling the artists as entrepreneurs in support of a thriving art community resulting in a public passionate about art.
Portland Open Studios creates a unique educational opportunity for the public to witness art in the making, and learn about media, materials and the business of creative endeavor. Through this interaction, Portland Open Studios creates a platform for local artists to thrive, engage and fosters a community that values the arts.
The Tour is composed of local artists who apply and are selected through a blind jury process.
Artists throughout the metro area invite you to their studios during the second and third weekends of October. Visitors experience studios tours, demonstrations of various techniques, and many hands-on opportunities.
Portland Open Studios provides a free mobile app and prints a full-color Tour Guide for purchase. Our Tour Guide features images of artwork, artist information, and community maps to identify studio locations. Local businesses and sponsors purchase ad space to offset the costs of printing.
In keeping with our educational mission, Portland Open Studios offers an educational internship program to high-school and college students. In addition, the Kimberly Gales Scholarship for Emerging Artists is available to artists between the ages of 20 and 30. Read about current and past Kimberly Gales Scholarship winners.
Meet the Team
The Portland Open Studios Board is an amazing group of people dedicated to the arts, education, and cultural advance. If you would like more information about what each member facilitates or an application for membership, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Board of Directors
- Leah Kohlenberg - President email@example.com
- Maude May - Vice President firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kirista Trask - Publicity - email@example.com
- Jolinda Miller - Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shelly Edwards - Treasurer email@example.com
- Pat Kane - Communications firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Friedman - Communications/Website email@example.com
- Samyak Yamauchi - Volunteer Coordinator Chair firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kit Carlton - Events Coordination email@example.com
- Janie Lowe - Education Chair firstname.lastname@example.org
- Duck Holland - Community Liason/Fundraising email@example.com
- Charlotte Cunningham - Board Administrator firstname.lastname@example.org
2018 is our 20th year operating Portland Open Studios. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit and all revenues are spent promoting the Tour and supporting the organization. The board is 100% volunteer, comprised of artists and art lovers giving whatever we can to support the local artist scene.
We have advertising and marketing expenses, along with operational costs. Revenues from our Open Studios App help to support our expenses. The artist fees and our ad sales in the Map pay for the production of the Map, App development, and website maintenance and all our other operational costs.